Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Slaughterhouse Concert: More then a Show..

It's November 17th, a Tuesday, and on a strange turn of events Im actually workin on a Tuesday(which never happens). Im also working until 9:30, which also never happens. The bill states '8'. I figured with opening acts and being them being on 'Rapper Time' they wouldn't be on stage until 11. We'll, slaughterhouse isnt a regular group, and after the opening acts, they hit the stage damn near 10 on the dot.

Meanwhile I'm rushing home got dressed, Jus to find out club parking doesnt take credit cards. Skipp to me finally getting to the venue, and them not accepting Cards ether, and there ATM has a $5 usgage fee. So $25 for a concert. It was so thick I ended up watch them perform there last 3 songs from the back of the bar, before they went to a meet and greet. Me, Im not into auto graphs as much as meeting the people artist, so what do i do while there signing auto graphs?

What do I do? Get to work.

Walked back to my inconvenient parking place and grab a box of "Homeless MIllionaire" Mixtapes to hand out to the fellow hip hop heads. For a hour after the concert was over... I was there, not to get autographs, no pictures.... To spread my music to people who would appreciate good hip hop. I was out $25 and was kinda bummed I didnt see the concert, but... After a half hour of handing them out to all the leaving fans, I see a crowd behind the tour bus. I go around there, its Crooked I.

I waited about 5-10 minutes until every one got there pics, and he's about to leave I gave him gap, and say 'yo Im out here grinding.. here's my mixtape'. Crooked I daps me looks me in my eyes and says 'Dont ever stop.. whatever you do don't stop, I mean it' I told him that meant the world to me, and it did. So Im about to leave off and there's another tour bus.. I run into Royce Da 5'9, tell him how big of a fan I am and I appreciate him coming out.. Handed him a mixtape. Royce: 'You sellin these' he said and I see him reach for his wallet... I coulda try to get some of the money back I spent on the event, but I say 'nah homie, I'm just gettin my name out there' Royce says 'Keep grindin homie, thanks alot' and as he walks off.. he looks at the CD and says 'Ima check you out for sure'..

As I wait for Budden for 3 minutes, then I see another crowd form, and its Joell. Once again I wait 5 minutes for everyone to get there pics, and as he walks off.. I say 'Yo Joell, heres my mixtape man', he daps me up and says 'thanks man, keep grinding man.. dont stop'. I waited for Budden but I think he was bloggin, my mixtape is more towards the 'Mood Musik' theme then any other music the other guys put out.. but I went to my car content.

Eventually all this grinding and waiting outside just for a CHANCE someone could listen to my music has to pay off. Slaughterhouse is by far my favorite hip hop group, compelled with a couple of my favorite MC's. For them to acknowledge what Im doing and take the mixtape and encourage me to 'Keep going, Dont ever stop', gave me extra fuel.

Being a good MC in a city (Orlando) that gets no A&R love is a struggle I have been dealing with for years, but its MC's like Joell, Crooked, Budden, and Royce that make me not give up, and for them to put a little battery in my back to keep going meant more then the world will ever know..

I have a Marlin Fitted and I Stamped 'Slaughtersouth' On it.. I am the 1 man Slaughtersouth.

Thanks Fellas - From a Hip Hop Fan - And a MC - Thanks Slaughterhouse.

peace and hip hop


No comments: